The Big O Diary – Post 5

Posted in: Uncategorized ♦ Thursday, July 21st, 2011, 9:12 pm ♦ 5 Comments

July 21, 2011

Today is Day 8 and I am feeling great! (sorry – couldn’t resist the cheesy rhyme). I love waking up without that draggy-druggy feeling. It is kind of like magic when it happens. It makes the memories of the last week of hell sort of melt away. I want to wrap my arms around this day and give it a big, giant hug! I feel as content as a person who has slept well, and is drinking her morning coffee with a gentle breeze coming through the window next to her. Oh, wait, that’s me.

It’s a good morning to write and take advantage of the laptop while hubby is on a conference call. He is a laptop hog. Even though he has his iPad, he still “needs” my laptop to work while he is here. I am happy to share, but all day long? Seriously? I will have to come up with ways of distracting him in order to get it back later – hmmmm……

OK – time for some quick reflection. Now that I am more than halfway through this process, I have been starting to think about What’s Next. When treatments and surgeries are said and done, what is next for me? I know that I want to dedicate myself to cancer awareness, but in what capacity? Just MG, or MG and Ovarian? Or something else entirely? Do I want to create another organization or support an already worthy one? Do I volunteer? Write? Speak? All of the above???

I know I don’t need to make these decisions now, but they are circulating in my head more and more. I guess just mulling them over is OK. I do always come back to the same thing however – Making A Difference. It is that simple. I want to make a difference for cancer. How exactly to go about doing that though is lost to me at the moment. Chemo brain.

So, for now, I just look forward to the immediate good things on the horizon. And today that would be an upcoming sisters’ weekend! My wonderful sis is flying up from Hotlanta to spend some quality girl time with me, and we will be joined by our younger (we don’t hold that against her) and totally fab local sis for some shopping, dining, drinking, and generally painting the town red time. Woo hoo – can’t wait!

Today’s post is not all that thought-provoking, but more about just feeling good and going with the flow. Relax. Enjoy the sticky hot summer. Eat an ice cream. Or two. I had a twisty cone last week and it melted all down my hand while I frantically tried to lick it under control. The ice cream won. Good stuff.

Oops – hubby is off his call. Bye for now!

5 Responses to “The Big O Diary – Post 5”

1. Posted by: valerie
    July 21st, 2011 at 9:25 pm

O! Melanoma Girl-that’s what first comes to my mind….It’s great to feel the joy in your words. Everything will be sorted out-take your time, and get through what needs to be done.
    I think it’ s good medicine for you to be pondering all the things you wrote about as long as it doesn’t stress you. Whatever you do, you will make a difference, and all your fans will be by your side.

2. Posted by: Nancy
    July 22nd, 2011 at 12:40 am

MG,
    You are already making a difference through your writing and sharing. Like you, that’s what I’m trying to do too. “My cancer” is breast cancer and I (along with many others) am trying to change the converstaion from just “pink ribbon stuff,” to the more substantial things, like research, research and CURE!! Less focus on one particular kind of cancer and more focus on all cancers. Glad you’re having a great day! Enjoy that quality girl time!

3. Posted by: stantheman
    July 22nd, 2011 at 2:51 am

Andrea,

Hope you and jode don’t get too wild this weekend. Weather is so hot. How are you holding up. You are amazing and I tell everyone about you and what you are doing to
    make people aware of Melanoma. Say hello to everyone and keep up the fight.

Love
    STM

4. Posted by: Mel
    July 22nd, 2011 at 5:00 am

MG – The funny thing is that you are thought provoking, even when you don’t think you are. Just you thinking, “what more can I do?” and what to appreciate today, made me think about those things (more like what I forgot to appreciate today!), too.

PS – You are entitled to just enjoy your day! :) Take good care and have fun this weekend!

5. Posted by: sharon Vraciu
    July 29th, 2011 at 2:12 am

Hey girlie.

Just thinking of you today and checked your blog to see how things are going. You are such an incredible person, Andrea – you have really taken this craziness and made a helluva pitcher of lemonade. I love you, miss you and think of you often.

If you guys ever want to get some fresh mountain air (and lots of ankle biters hanging off of you for a weekend), I’d love to see you and Frankie.

Oh well – nothing interesting to say. Jsut wanted you to know you are being thought of often by Paul and I.

Sharon